Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Broccoli & Quinoa Bowl


We eat a lot of broccoli in our house and I make a lot of broccoli-tofu-soy sauce combos, but tonight I broke out of the rut with some quinoa and crumbled up gluten-free veggie burgers to make a really delicious and FRUGAL supper. The kids weren't as impressed as Dan and I, but they are at the age where I can point them to the peanut butter jar if they don't like the main meal at my restaurant.

A lot of veggie burgers are not gluten-free, so make sure you read labels religiously. I used Franklin Farms burgers which I find next to the tofu in the refrigerated case at the grocery store.

Broccoli & Quinoa Bowl

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1/2 tsp. salt
Olive oil
2 stalks broccoli, broken into florets and stalk diced coarsely
5 cloves garlic, sliced
2 gluten-free veggie burgers, crumbled
2 Tbsp. brown miso

Place quinoa, water and salt in pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit 5 minutes. Fluff up with a fork.

Saute garlic in 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add broccoli and stir-fry 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water to pan and cover and simmer 3-4 minutes, until broccoli is tender-crisp. Add veggie burgers and miso and stir until heated through.

Delicioso!

Serves 4.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning the brand to look for...I just gave up looking for a GF Veggie burger.

I was a vegetarian before I got diagnosed, but gave that up in my inital panic after diagnosis.

Now that I've adjusted to the GF lifestyle, I'm ready to go back to being veg too.

Your blog is an awesome resource!

Anonymous said...

To anonymous-
If you can't find Franklin Farms, I have an article over at my blog with a list of all the gluten-free veggie burgers available-

http://www.bookofyum.com/blog/gluten-free-veggie-burger-reviews-576.html

I wanted to share because I, too, thought I was out of luck for veggie burgers for the longest time until I started discovering them. Unfortunately, here in Ca. I can't find Franklin Farms, but Amy and Gardenburger both offer burgers nation-wide, among others.

This recipe looks so healthy and hearty! I just got a book called "Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes" where they do a lot with crumbled veggie burgers- it looks fun.

-Sea

Thistlemoon said...

I love all the kitties on your sidebar! So cute!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll! :)