Monday, July 6, 2009

Creamy Garlic Scape & Greek Yogurt Dressing

I wasn't aware that like Alexander the Great, Greek Yogurt has lately taken over the dairy case at my local supermarket. I usually would buy plain store-brand yogurt or the Yoplaits my daughters enjoy and then cruise onto the next item on my grocery list. But after being sent some free coupons by the Stonyfield Farms company, I am now enamored by the thick and creamy Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt.

Greek yogurt has a lower whey content than regular yogurt, so it's thicker and creamier, similar to the consistency of sour cream. While sour cream has 480 calories per cup, and mayonnaise more than triples the calorie count, a similar quantity of Oikos Greek Yogurt has only 136 calories. I perused some of the recipes on the Oikos website and got inspiration to make my own Creamy Garlic dressing using garlic scapes trimmed from my garden patch and Oikos yogurt to sub in for mayonnaise. It was tangy and delicious over some tender mixed garden lettuces.



After admiring the sculptural qualities of my scape harvest, I made the following recipe:

Creamy Garlic & Greek Yogurt Dressing


6 garlic scapes, finely minced (you can substitute 3 Tbsp. minced scallions or chives if scapes are not available)
4 Tbsp. plain Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a cruet and shake vigorously. Pour over a simple salad of mixed greens.

This simple dressing really lets the vibrant taste of the garlic scapes shine. Next scape season I am going to try it over plain boiled potatoes for a little extra zing.

You can print out a coupon to try the Oikos yogurt line (including honey, blueberry and strawberry flavors) yourself at the Oikos website and check to see which local stores carry the brand. In our Capital District area, the Hannaford Supermarket chain carries Oikos and Stonyfield Farms products.

Overall, I am pleased to offer an enthusiastic recommendation for a healthy, organic and tasty product.

6 comments:

Amy Green said...

I love homemade salad dressings. I don't think I'll ever buy any at the store again. I have been using plain, lowfat yogurt in my dressings with whatever strikes me...your version sounds so good.

I wish I had your garden. :)

Maria Verivaki said...

thick greek yoghurt can be used in many ways in western cooking, substituting it for cream and making it into dips. we eat a lot of it ourselvss

Deb in Hawaii said...

I could not live with out my non-fat Greek yogurt--it goes in everything mayo and sour cream used to for me. The dressing sounds delicious and your scapes are beautiful--some day I am going to try some! ;-)

Maria Verivaki said...

thanks for the zuke recipe - this dressing sounds like it might go well with it

Heather S-G said...

This sounds great! I'm still searching out scapes, though...argh.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Greek yog is gorgeous - I also find it doesn't split as easily when heated, so I use it in curries sometimes.